Bananas are good for you in more ways than it is widely known for. They are one of the superfoods you can integrate into your daily eating habits. Compared to the more popular fruit, the apple, bananas have five times as much vitamin A and iron, three times as much phosphorus and is very rich in potassium. Here are some of the benefits of bananas you might not have known.
- Bananas give you energy boosts that are better than caffeine and sugary snacks
- Potassium in bananas give you maximum performance when exercising or doing tasks that requires physical exertion
- Potassium is also good for regulating blood circulation in the body, reducing stroke and maintain a regular heartbeat
- Bananas have fiber that regulates bowel movements
- Bananas have a chemical called Tryptophan that boosts your mood and makes you feel happier (note to guys: feed your partner bananas when it’s nearing *that* time of the month)
- Bananas greatly reduce menstrual cramps
- Bananas help you focus better at work
- Bananas cure fatigue and hangovers, again, it’s a healthier alternative to coffee
My favourite way of preparing bananas is making it into a smoothie! Here are a couple of recipes you can try using bananas with.
Banana and honey smoothie
Add 2 bananas, 1 tablespoon of organic Manuka honey, and 3 tablespoon of organic yogurt with 4 ice cubes and mix in blender. This takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and it tastes sooo good. Even typing this recipe out now is making me crave for it! This is best taken before or after exercising as it replenishes your body after losing fluids through sweat.
Banana and berry smoothie
Add 2 bananas, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 3 tablespoon of organic yogurt (optional) and mix in blender. If you want it colder just throw in a couple more of ice cubes. This is perfect for a morning perk-me-up in summer (which is practically everyday here in Singapore. Pfft.)
Frozen banana “ice cream”
I just peel the banana, put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it in the freezer. When it’s thoroughly frozen, the texture is almost like ice cream and tastes delicious and it’s a natural food! You can mash it up in a bowl and put some real ice cream with it if you’re in for a real treat.
*UPDATE* After typing this delicious entry, me and my partner both ended up indulging in ice cream!!!